Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac vibe: refrig escaping slowly, IMO.This season, clutch..pull…

Customer Question
03 pontiac vibe: Have not been...
03 pontiac vibe:
Have not been able to get A/C this season . Last summer I charged it up at least once and it then ran cold and worked nice, but this indicates refrig escaping slowly, IMO.
This season, clutch would not pull in at all. Guessing low pressure, I charged it, but it didn't seem to want to take much if any refrig. (w/oil). Light comes on when A/C button is depressed, Idle seems to change a little, but clutch (which is not froze up) does not pull in. Like it's not getting a signal.
Can I run jumper to comp. to test?
Is there a relay which commonly fails? Or other known failure? Where is it?
Where the heck is the fuse panel on this thing? (nobody stocks a book)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/24/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Goodwrench9124
Goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, yes you can run a jumper to the compressor for testing purposes. there is a compressor relay that turns on the compressor. but doesn't fail very often. and the fuse block is up under the drivers side of dash. kinda of pain to see. there is also another fuse block mounted under the hood on the drivers fender. the a/c relay is commanded on by the engine control module. the engine control module has to see several inputs and checks before it will turn on the compressor. kinda tough to check out without a scan tool. but there are a fews things you can do. first thing check the a/c 10 amp fuse in the under dash fuse panel and make sure it is ok. let me know if the fuse is good or bad.

Thank you.The fuse is good (as in not visably burnt). Note: May be unrelated, but I also hear a rythmic tunk, tunk, tunk, (sounds like tapping your finger on the side of your plastic air cleaner housing). After starting the car up. This strikes me as a vent door or flap, up under the dash, trying and re-trying to open or close. Pushing in the recirc. button makes this go away and it will stay quiet if you deactivate recirc.button.

I would like your opinion on this before I try a jumper, agree?

sounds like might be a problem with recirc door, but this shouldn't cause the compressor not to engage. you can go ahead and jumper the compressor to see if it comes on, if cools then we know you have a electrical problem and not a charge problem. but we wont know what the electrical problem is for sure without a scan tool that reads data. now, if the compressor runs after jumping it, and doesn't cool. then we have a charge problem. just to give you some idea how the system works, here is some info

Pressing the A/C button enables the PCM to request A/C compressor engagement and turn on the A/C indicator. The A/C button sends a signal to the PCM for A/C compressor engagement. The PCM will provide a ground for the A/C compressor relay enabling it to close its internal contacts to send battery voltage to the A/C compressor clutch coil. The A/C compressor diode will prevent a voltage spike, resulting from the collapse of the magnetic field of the coil, from entering the vehicle electrical system when the compressor is disengaged. Defrost and Defog mode selections will request A/C operation but not turn on the A/C indicator. The blower switch must be in any position except OFF for the A/C system to operate. The A/C system can operate regardless of the temperature control setting.

The following conditions must be met in order for the A/C compressor clutch to turn on:

Ambient air temperature above 4°C (40°F)
A/C refrigerant pressure switch parameters are met
PCM receives an A/C request from the A/C switch
Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is less than 121°C (250°F)
The engine RPM is more than 550 RPM
The throttle position is less than 100%

The PCM monitors the A/C refrigerant pressure switch signal circuit. If the PCM detects a pressure signal out of parameters, it will disable the A/C request. This switch assists in cycling the A/C compressor and prevents A/C compressor operation if system has a low refrigerant level.

The sensor information is used by the PCM to determine the following:

A/C system load on the engine
A/C system pressures

Once engaged, the compressor clutch will be disengaged for the following conditions:

Ambient air temperature is less than 4°C (40°F)
Throttle position is 100%
A/C high side pressure is more than 3140 kPa (455 psi)
A/C low side pressure is less than 196 kPa (28 psi)
Engine coolant temperature (ECT) is more than 121°C (250°F)
Engine speed is more than 5500 RPM
PCM detects insufficient idle quality

Goodwrench9124

Well done. will trouble shoot between elec and chg. and then scan if indicated.

Ok, good deal. please let me know, if you have any more questions, or need more help with this