Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 Grand Prix GTP: wheels..assembly due to a blown internal seal…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Grand...
I have a 2003 Grand Prix GTP I had put in a new power steering pump and when I went to bleed it I head a hissing sound come to find out that it was leaking fluid from the boot of the rack and pinon when the wheels were turning so far. I just took the rack and pinon off and the boot has a big hole in it and i pulled the other boot off and it was full of fluid. Another mechanic on this website told me i needed to replace the assembly due to a blown internal seal. I need a second opinon due to the fact that this part is so spendy. I'm pretty sure there is suppose to be fluid considering the boot with no hole in it was full of fluid as well. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/16/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hello and good morning. I agree with the first diagnosis. The internals of the rack and pinion are not serviceable. If fluid is making it into the bellows, the internal seals are worn and cannot be repaired independently. I know the cost is high, but replacement is your only option. I'm sorry I couldn't have brought you better news.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan