Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac sunfire: starter..new battery, timing chain is..engaging…

Customer Question
I have pontiac sunfire 2004...
I have pontiac sunfire 2004 the starter is fine,new battery, timing chain is in place & turning the car is not engaging it won't turn over
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/16/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Mater Technician replied 8 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
HelloCustomer what does the vehicle do when you attempt to start it?
it will not start, it seems to want to , but it doesn't it won't fully turnover. I was told that it,s not engaging I know in this car the timing chain can go I only have 48,000 miles. I went to the store the other day & it was fine no issues starting it was driving the same I parked the car & hours later my daughter went to take it & it wouldn't turn over.
Pontiac Mechanic: car tech, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
good morning i see fixitman is not currently available if it would be ok i would like to assist you
yes, please
does the starter turn the motor over and just not start
yes
does it try to start does it seem to turn faster do you here the fuel pump run when you turn the key to on it should run about 2 or 3 seconds
no , u can smell the gas by the engine so I was told the gas is getting through the engine . Could it be the crank sensor & if so where on the engine is it
if your getting a fuel smell i think the crank sensor is working i would think it may be the timing chain i would do a compression test
when he lifted the valve cover the chain was in place, does the pontiac sunfire have 1 or 2 chains , he didn't take the valve cover completely off
it has 2 and you usually cant tell from looking from the top really need to do a compression test
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thing don't u think that @ 48,000 miles this shouldn't happen
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thing don't u think that @ 48,000 miles this shouldn't happen & do u have any idea how long this takes to fix a timing chain in my car
we have seen it allot under 50k it seems to be depending on the condition of the weather and driving as well as how often you change your oil it is a day job for just the chain the big problem is when the chain jumps on yours it bends the valves and this means the head has to come off and a valve job done this is at least another day minimum
the thing is I had driven it in the morning & it drove fine there was no noise, it was fine & it was parked all day & my daughter tried to start it about 9pm that night & it wouldn't turn over so the car wasn't being driven when this started so shouldn't the valves be alright. Thanks this is my question thanks again. have a good day.
the thing is I had driven it in the morning & it drove fine there was no noise, it was fine & it was parked all day & my daughter tried to start it about 9pm that night & it wouldn't turn over so the car wasn't being driven when this started so shouldn't the valves be alright. Thanks this is my question thanks again. have a good day.Also around how much money are we talking
I don't mean to be a pest but i saw on someone else u put up a picture of the removal procedure do have one for the removal of the timing chain for my car
it will normal jump when trying to start it this will bend the valves i will be happy to get you the pics give me a little while to get that for you but before you do this you need to do that compression test to confirm that you have this condition
ok but what does "normal jump " mean do u mean the last time I drove my car that the timing chain was already broke & also when people are having me try to start my car to listen to it can this make the problem worse
exactly when you parked it the chain is loose and when they try to start it jumps the more it was crank the more chance of bent valves