Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

new battery..wont start..clicking noise but i..boost

Customer Question
My car will start sometimes...
My car will start sometimes and has a new battery. When iy wont start it just makes a clicking noise but i can boost it off and get it started within a couple of minutes. What can i do to fix this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/10/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: JHoop, Pontiac Technician replied 8 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Pontiac Technician
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Is the car there and will it start?

no it just makes a clicking noise

Is the car there?
yes
Can you jump start it?
yes within a minute or two of hooking it up
OK. Jump start and while it is running, disconnect the negative battery cable.

Does the engine stall?
what would that indicate? i dont have any tools here to do that right now
That the alternator is not charging.

Can you try to get even pliers or adjustable wrench?

If the alternator is good, the engine will stay running.

Stays running, you have a system draw.
like a short or something like that that is draing the battery
Something staying on, When can you test it so I can give you an answer?
it will be tomorrow when i get home
Let me know the test results.I will keep your question open.

You can get back to me anytime by logging into your JA account.
thanks man i appreciate it
I'll be here.Cool