Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car starter repairs

Customer Question
car starter repairs
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/9/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 years ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Chat Conversation Started
kalamykid :

You will have to pull the starter off of the engine. There is a bolt that holds the metal tab from the starter motor onto the top of the solenoid that has to come off and then there are two bolts that hold the solenoid to the starter nose cone. When you have all three of them out twist the solenoid 1/4 turn and the spring for the plunger will push the solenoid up. Revaers the steps to put it back together. Do not for get to put the plunger spring back in.

Customer:

i have tried to remove the bolt from the starter , but wrenches dont fit and sockets dont fit because there is no room for the bolt to turn . can i take the sonoloid off the top of the starter with-out removing the starter it self ?

kalamykid :

Yes you can pull the solenoid off of the starter with out pulling the starter, but the bolts that hold the solenoid to the starter will be kind hard as one is on the engine side of the starter and you will not be able to see it.

Customer:

that is ok if i cant see it

Customer:

that is ok , i can still feel it cant i , and just take my time and back it out

kalamykid :

yes

kalamykid :

You will have to use an extesion to be ably to get to it but it is not hard to do.

Customer:

ok I am going to try it , will get back to U later p/s willi need any special tools to take out these screws ?

kalamykid :

no it is either a 3/8 socket or a 5/16.

Customer:

ok i will get both and a sweven joint will help dont u think ?

kalamykid :

you will not need a swivle

Customer:

ok thank U l going now to o job , will get back to U later........

kalamykid :

ok

kalamykid :

Did you get the solenoid off?