hauto
hauto, TECHNICIAN
Experience:  SELF EMPLOYED TECH, RAN MY OWN SHOP, HAVE 15 YEARS OF HANDS ON EXPERINCE
24868125

92 Pontiac Bonneville: it wont start..crank..cooled..30 min

I have a 92 Pontiac Bonneville, after i have been driving and turn the engine off it wont start. It will crank over but not fire until it has cooled off. Sometimes 30 min. and sometimes hours. I am getting good fuel pressure. Any thoughts?

this sounds like a crank position sensor, this sensor tells the ecm were the crank position is, then the ecm signals the ignition module to fire the spark plugs. when the senor is faulty because of high resistance when it's hot. the ecm doesn't think that the engine is cranking. see below

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will bolting the sensor on be all there is to it or it need to be adjusted and if so how can this be done. Any special tools needed if it does? I have heard there is. Please let me know, all help is appreciated.

there is no adjustments needed. You'll need a spacial tool to pull the crankshaft pulley, those are press fit. this is about 1.5hr job for the pros, this could take a while.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok great. I have a tool to pull the pulley, so i will go to Auto Zone in morning to get the sensor. Thank you for your help. You don't know much i will be glad to get the car fixed.
good luck