Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

2001 sunfire: my check engine light is on so i hooked it up..whats

Customer Question
i have a 2001 sunfire...
i have a 2001 sunfire and my check engine light is on so i hooked it up to a friends superchip and the codw said it was PO480 whats that mean?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/4/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

DTC P0480 - cooling fan control circuit fault. Fairly often this code is set because the fuse for the front fan is popped and the fan motor has failed. The fuse is a maxi fuse located and labeled in the engine compartment fuse/relay box. Check this first and replace as needed.

If ok, these are the other reasons:

The PCM will monitor the control circuit for the following:

• A short to ground
  • A short to voltage
  • An open circuit
  • An open relay coil
  • An internally shorted or excessively low resistance relay coil

When the PCM detects any of the above conditions, the DTC will set and the affected driver will be disabled.

Below is troubleshooting chart and a diagnostic scan tool is required for the test:

graphic

Were abouts is the maxi fuse?

The fuse in question is in the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. The maxi fuses are the larger ones:

When you remove the fuse/relay box cover look on the underside of the cover and there will be a layout and indentification of the fuses so you will know which one to check

Here is fuse layout in the engine comparment fuse box:

graphic

graphic
View Full Image

If you have any further questions feel free to ask for more help, otherwise click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert does not get paid for their time, experience or knowledge until you do so. thank you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager