Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am will not start. I have replaced the

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am will not start. I have replaced the fuel filter and there is fuel at the fuel rail. I have spark at the plugs. What next?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

What size engine? Is the theft light on or flashing? Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2.2L 4CYL when do I check for the light? While I'm cranking or when i first put in the key.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

When the key is in....At any point is the light on or flashing? Did this just suddenly happen or was it driving rough or something before?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, when i turn the key to ACC the security light is flashing. It was running fine, shut it off, the next day it didn't start. The gas tank was very low and I thought that the fuel wasn't being picked up by the pump so i put about 3 gallons in.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
Ok, try this.......Bump key into start position for just a second without trying to start it then leave it in on position for 10 minutes, shut off for 5 seconds, turn on for 10 minutes, off for 5 seconds, on for 10 minutes, then try to start it. Let me know if that works. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That did it! Thanks Your the man!
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy to hear its up and running....remember the procedure because its common with this car. Thanks and let me know if you need anything.