Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1997 grand am: the steering wheel column..screw..wiper arm

Customer Question

do i have to remove the steering wheel column to change the wiper switch
lever for 1997 grand am i install it but it only holds with one bottom screw i have a problem with the top screw how do i put the plastic part under neathh so i can put the screw i broke other arm only holding with bottom screw do i have to remove the entire steering wheel column

re wiper arm
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
  • Object Number: 443915  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 TORX® head screws from the back of the steering wheel.
  • Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) clip (2) and the electrical connection (3) from the rear of the inflator module (1).
  •  

Never rest the steering column assembly on the steering wheel with the inflator module face down, and the column vertical. This may result in personal injury.

• Remove the inflator module (1) from the steering wheel
  • Remove the steering wheel.
  • Remove the steering column shrouds. .
  •  

Object Number: 307332  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 Torx® head screws from the multifunction switch (2).
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors from the multifunction switch (2).
  • Remove the multifunction switch (2) from the steering column.
  • Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    SO I HAVE TO REMOVE THE STEERING WHEEL COVER TO ASSEMBLE THE TOP PART AS SHOWN IN ILLUSTRATION CORRECT. I HAVE IT SECURED WITH THE BOTTOM SCREW ONLY WILL THIS HOLD IT FOR A WHILE I DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING OUT THE STEERING WHEEL COLUMN THE LEVER IS HOLDING ONLY WITH THE BOTTOM SCREW THATS IT HOW LONG CAN IT HOLD LIKE THIS
    Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
    You do need to pull the steering wheel and plastic column covers to access the top screw. If you are gentle with the switch it should last a while until you are able to repair it correctly.