Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2001 pontiac sunfire with a bad front wheel bearing

Customer Question
assembly. I have removed...
I have a 2001 pontiac sunfire with a bad front wheel bearing assembly. I have removed the 30mm axle bolt, brake caliber, rotor and the three T-55 bolts that hold the assembly on. The hub assembly still will not pull off and acts like the CV joint or whatever is connected to the spindle wont let go. I tapped a couple times with a hammer but still will not slide off spindle. Is there there something else holding this assemble on?? I dont wont to hit with the hammer to hard and break the CV joint or whatever is behind the hub assembly.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
1/1/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

They can get a little stuck on there sometimes. I normally will put the axle nut back on until it is flush with the end of the axle. Then tap the axle in a little to jarr it loose from the hub.

Also, you can hit on the hub to get it out. Some I have had to use a chissel where it mates to the steering knuckle to get them out. In anycase, here is the procedure for it. Thanks and Happy New Year!

FRONT WHEEL BEARING/HUB REPLACEMENT

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
  3. Remove the drive axle nut.
  4. Remove the brake rotor.

graphic

Remove the mounting bolts (1) from the hub and bearing assembly (3).

graphic

1. Remove the hub and bearing assembly (1) from the steering knuckle (2) and drive axle shaft.

Installation Procedure

Install the hub and bearing assembly (1) into the steering knuckle (2) and drive axle shaft.

1. Install the hub bearing mounting bolts (1).
    • Tighten the bolts to 95 Nm (68 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the drive axle shaft nut.
    • Tighten the drive axle shaft nut to 200 Nm (144 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Install the brake rotor.
  2. Install the tire and wheel assemblies
  3. Inspect the front wheel alignment.

Its separated from the steering knuckle by about a 1/4 inch and will not go out anyfurther. The CV joint keeps moving with it and I'm afraid hitting it real hard my break something from where the spindle goes in. I'm guessing there is nothing else holding it on, just the trhee bolts and the axle nut. Have you needed to use anthing else to remove them? I did apply some penetrating oil and am allowing that to work. My brother in law suggested a tool that mounts to the wheel lug bolts and has a cap that fits over the axle. then you just start tightening it down and it pulls the bearing hub off. kind of like a steering wheel puller. have you heard of that or should I just keep pounding on it from the back on each side? kind of sucks since I'm almost done and just simply put the new one on.

Never had to use the hub puller on one of them. That is why I normally put the nut back on till it's flush with the axle end and hit with a hammer. The penatrating oil is a good idea, but you will want to jarr it from the axle.
I havent forgotten your answer...I'm waiting on the penetrating oil to do its job and then I'll try tapping the old Nut on the end of the axil. See if it will go in enough to break loose from the Hub. I have never replaced one of these before and did not know there is some play with the CV joint. Thats why i didn't wont to whack it too hard because I was afraid i would break something in the CV joint or pound it out of the engine. I'm getting ready now to whack the axle bolt nut.
Okay
It did not fix the problem. pounding with a hammer would not loosen it and the whole CV joint is moving with it. i ended up putting it back together and returning the part to Advance Auto Parts. I will need to get different tools or just give up and pay a mechanic. I can't believe that is the only way to pull the part off by whacking it.
Sorry, there are no secret ways here of doing that.
Pontiac Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
hi ,I have had some pretty tough ones to remove ,yes there is a puller for that <I believe you can rent one for free at autozone,it does attach to the hub via 3 slots and held on by the lug nuts then in the middle is a long bolt with a tapered end to fit in the dimple of the axle shaft ,you then tighten the bolt and sometimes you hit the the end of the bolt and tighten the bolt down some more,this does work well and will push the axle in to remove the hub ,some of these can be tough but this tool will work great for you the labor for this job only calls for 1 hour so if you cant get the tool for some reason and it would cost more than 1 hours labor at a shop,than what it would cost to buy one at a store then you would be better off having someone do it ,I would not ever hit the end of an axle shaft with a hammer ,IF my tapered punch does not move the axle out with a few hits then Iuse the tool ...guy...
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
jazzmaster
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician