Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 98 sunfire with 2.2 engine. the rear brake line blew.

Customer Question
I have a 98 sunfire...
I have a 98 sunfire with 2.2 engine. the rear brake line blew. Replaced it. No pressure in system...then replaced master cylinder & rear shoes & drums......manual & power bled. Still no pressure in system....was told to replace the brake modulator....rebled & still nothing. If I use the Tech 2...I can release the rear abs motor & I have brakes. As soon as I unplug the tech 2...it rehomes & I do not have brakes again.....can you tell me what is going on....I'm out of options
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
9/4/2009
Pontiac Mechanic: Amedee, Pontiac Technician replied 8 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello!

If you open up the bleeder in that side that you replaced the line and take off the cap off of the master cylinder reservoir and fill the brake fluid up, eventually brake fluid should start to drip out of that caliper or wheel cylinder. This may take about 20 minutes or so, but you will just have to be patient. If brake fluid is still not coming out, then you can try bleeding it. But this may take some time as well.

I tried that....got some air out, but still no brakes. Any other suggestions
SO does any fluid come out when you try to bleed the brakes?
Yes....fluid comes out fine. The brake pedal is soft & goes to the floor no matter what we've done. But if you do the power bleeding by the manual....you have to apply & release the abs motors for front & rear....then cycle the solenoids....then reapply the abs motors. After that the pedal still goes to the floor. but if you use the tech2 & release the rear abs motor....we have brakes. You shut the tech 2 off & no pedal again. Why would we have a hard pedal when releasing the rear abs motor & then not have any after you shut the tech 2 off & it rehomes. Can not figure this out.
Did we bleed all of the brakes?
ok replaced the master cylinder again.....have fluid to the front brakes...nothing but air to the rear ones.....what now???
Fill the master fluid reservoir up with fluid. Leave the cap off. open one bleeder at a time and wait about ten minutes for it to start dripping out, then bleed
Got fluid to rear now. Bled all brakes....still have a soft pedal.
Did we bleed the fronts as well? Do we have fluid out at all 4 wheel? Any air coming out?
yes bled all....still have air coming out right rear...which is the side the line blew
If you are still getting air out of the bleeder in the rear from that side the line was replaced, this means you are not air tight. You might have a bad connection between two lines... somewhere air is leaking in.
Hubby says we have air on both rears....if you put the reservoir cap on it goes away.
SO when you bleed the brakes, you are still getting air out of the rears?
yes..he's gravity bleeding them right now.
with the reservoir cap off & gravity bleeding we get air out of the rears.....If you put the cap on & gravity bleed them....no air

Ok... leave the cap off.

If you bleed them with somebody pushing on the brake pedal do we still get air out of the rears?

yes

Ok... just keep bleeding....

There is alot of air that needs to get bled out. Be sure the master cylinder does not go dry while bleeding.

He has been bleeding the right rear over an hour....can there really be that much air in the system??

If you keep getting air out of the right rear, then that means the line from the master cylinder to the right rear has a leak in it somewhere.

It is not air tight and keeps sucking air in. THats why you have a soft or spongy brake pedal.

he's getting it out both rears
Is there two lines seperate coming out of the master cylinder for the tow rears? Or is there only one line coming out of the master cylinder for the rears that splits into two?

two separate lines coming from master cylinder

So the master cylinder has 4 lines coming out total?
yes
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before putting it in the car?
yes it was bench bled. He said the 4 lines come off of the abs modulator that is connected to the master cylinder

WHen the master cylinder was replaced, did the reservoir get replaced also? Did the master cylinder come with a reservoir or was the old one used?

old one was used

You might have a bad seal between the master cylinder and the reservoir. It sounds like the master cylinder is sucking air from somewhere.

we put new seals on it

Well, air is getting sucked in from somewhere.

WHat I would do, is bleed it at the ABS motor (the two rear lines) and see if you are still getting air in the system. If not, then you are picking up air after the ABS system and you know that the master cylinder and everything before the ABS motor is sealed air tight.

Bled all the bleeders from modulator, to all wheels. Still soft pedal. Use the tech2 & release the rear abs motor...have stiff pedal....apply the rear abs motor with tech 2 & soft pedal again. ????

NO... do not do anything to the ABS motor. You are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. There is no reason that the ABS motor should have been bled to begin with. Maybe now this is your problem. Maybe you have air trapped in the ABS motor.

We are going to do this one step at a time.

Bleed the two brake lines going into the ABS motor for the rear brakes. Be sure the master cylinder reservoir is filled up and bleed the two lines until there is no more air coming out. Stop at that point and let me know!

didn't do anything to the abs motor until after we got all done & still had no pedal.
Still .... there is no reason to do anything with the ABS motor.

hold on I'll go get hubby

ok

He said in the pontiac shop manual it says to apply & release the abs motors 2-3 times & the solenoids 5-10 times & then bleed

Just for a simple brake line repair? Throw that thing away!

I do brake lines at the shop all day long! I cannot remember the last time I needed to bleed an ABS motor!

ok no air at abs modulator...rear brake lines
Are you at the ABS motor? These are the brake lines coming from the master cylinder... not going to the rear brakes! Just crack them loose and take off the cap on the master cylinder reservoir. Fluid should start dripping out.
so gravity bleed???
YES... we are going to start by gravity bleeding.
ok gravity bled the bleeders.....not the lines
No... go to the rear brake lines at the ABS motor(coming from the master cylinder) and crack them loose and let them drip for about 5 minutes. Keep the reservoir full.
Are you talking about the 4 lines coming off the abs modulator
there are NOT any brake lines from the master cylinder
YES... just the two that are COMING from the master cylinder for the rear... not the two that are going to the rear brakes.
The brake lines go from the master cylinder to the ABS motor...correct?
did you get that last info?
YES... there has to be brake lines coming from the master cylinder
There isn't....the brakes lines come off the brake modulator not the master cylinder
Is it attached to the master cylinder?
yes.
Ok... Then crack open the two lines for the rear brakes that come off of the ABS motor that go to the rear brakes right at the ABS motor.
ok what's next
Is there fluid dripping out?

yes there is

Ok... try bleeding it right there and see if it helps at all. Also, when the master cylinder was replaced, was the ABS unit replaced together as a entire unit?
we let them drip for 15 mins ......no it wasn't.....replaced the master cylinder first....then had to get the modulator later & put together
Ok... try to bleed it at the brake lines... let me know if it helps!
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
thanks for trying but we finally got it figured out using a 1992 Oldsmobile book for bleeding....got it on the first try with that procedure.

Excellent!

Glad to hear it all fixed!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician