GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

grand am: i change the outgoing power steering pressure hose

Customer Question

how do i change the outgoing power steering pressure hose on a 96pontiac grand am?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
Welcome. To change the hose, you will need a drain bucket and the replacement hose. Start by placing the bucket under the front of the car so catch the oil. Remove the line from the power steering pump. It should be a threaded connection. Then unhook the line from the clips that hold it as it runs down to the power steering gear. Then you need to remove the fitting from the power steering gear. You will likely need to remove a heat shield on the back of the steering rack and disconnect clips that hold it to the other lines. When installing the new one, be sure there is an o-ring on either end of the hose to seal it up. They should come with the new hose.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

i am female, ive never changed one b4, i need more info. how do i get 2 the end thats connected 2 the power steering gear? Do i need 2 remove other devices that may be in the way of disconnecting the end on the gear ?

To get at the power steering gear, you need to use a set of jack stands or ramps the SAFELY support the vehicle high enough so you can get under it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

everytime ive used just answer, ive recieved pictures of what the parts looked like and step by step procedures. your answer is still 2 vauge 4 me.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

im so sorry, i just found out ive asked about the wrong hose. Its the return hose i need to change out.

Ok .

Object Number: 509571  Size: SH

• Disconnect the return hose (2) from the reservoir (1).
  • Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Disconnect the return hose (2) from the cooler pipe assembly (3).
  • Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    SO, WHEN I GET THIS CAR IN THE AIR & GO UP UNDER IT, I WONT HAVE 2 REMOVE ANY OTHER PARTS. ALL I HAVE 2 DO IS UNSCREW THE HOSE FROM THE GEAR BOX?

The most you should have to remove is a heat shield, but I doubt even that will need to be removed.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    THANKS SO MUCH. U GUYS AT JUST ASK R THE GREATEST. SORRY FOR THE TROUBLE.
    No problem. Have a great day and please reply if you need more information about this issue.