Victor
Victor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years GM experience
12830967

I have 2004 grand prix gt. When my ABS light comes on it also

Customer Question

I have 2004 grand prix gt. When my ABS light comes on it also disables my traction control. I can feel a grinding in my steering wheel and my brakes won't stop me.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Victor replied 8 years ago.
Hi twinkletwinkle,

Unfortunately, you will need a scanner that can retrieve abs codes in order to accurately diagnose this issue. But I will give u a list of things to check that might help you diagnose things for now. Under each wheel there is a wheel speed sensor that tells the abs computer how fast that wheel is spinning. The computer uses this information to determine traction while accelerating or braking. Jack the car up and check all fours wheels. Make sure the connection is clean and secure. Also check the sensor itself. If this is fine, check simple things like brake fluid level and the connections at the abs module located in the engine bay under the hood. Check for any external leaks or faulty connections. If brake fluid is low, adjust to specs and check for leaks by applying brakes and checking all hoses for leaks. If you do gain access to a scanner, post the codes found in the abs module. Let me know if you have further questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Victor, how dangerous is the car to drive at this point? Will driving the car until this weekend disable the car itself? And it is under a powertrain warranty is this a covered issue?
Expert:  Victor replied 8 years ago.
The brakes will work as normal, however, you might not have any anit-lock brake feature. So if for some reason you slam on the brakes or brake in bath weather, you may not have the operation of anti-lock feature so your brakes may lock up. The car will work the same otherwise. Also your traction control may not work either. A quick check, look under the hood and there should be a fuse box in there. Look for a fuse labeled ABS or TRAC and check it. Should be a 15amp or 20amp fuse. If its burnt, replace it. The location of the fuse varies by year but I think it will be fuse #22 maybe? If you HAVE to drive it I would avoid bad weather and increase your following distance dramatically. Let me know if you have any further questions.