Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

my low beam headlights do not work, all other lights work.

Customer Question
just wondering what would make...
my low beam headlights do not work, all other lights work. just wondering what would make it do this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
4/28/2009
Pontiac Mechanic: Carhelp4u, Pontiac Technician replied 8 years ago
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, Pontiac Technician
What is the year and model of the pontiac you are working on?
2002 Grandam GT
The most common failure to cause this problem on this model is the headlamp dimmer switch which is serviced as the complete multifunction switch assembly. There is some testing to verify this though. You will need a voltmeter to verify this problem for sure. Let me know if you would like to get into the testing!
I have already replaced the switch and still no headlights, I have checked all the fuses and relays as well.
I am going to have to opt out, we are having a pretty serious storm here in pa that just knocked out the power and now I am having a problem logging back into my information. I will get back to you asap unless another experts picks up on this, sorry for the trouble.
ok, thanks anyway
Ok I am back, Sorry for that. Do you have access to a voltmeter?

A multimeter? if so yes

Ok I would like to do some testing on the passenger side headlamp connector. With the headlamps in the on/low beam position do you have 12 volts at the orange wire? Also do you have a ground at the dark blue wire?
12v on orange and -3 Ohms on blue
Ok and if you ground this blue wire does the lamp come on?

no it does not

Ok well you have voltage at the orange wire. This is what would be needed to power the headlamp and then you grounded the dark blue wire. This should have turned this lamp on. Have you checked the actual connections within the socket and the bulb itself?
yes i have taken the bulb out and tested the pins, I have replaced the bulbs also

If you have voltage to the orange wire and a ground right at the dark bluw wire as it comes out of the socket and the bulb is not illuminating, I would figure this to be a faulty socket or bulb. I will opt out to see if any other experts can give you any other insight.

ok
hey I got the lights to come on by grounding the blue wire but they wont go off now
Pontiac Mechanic: car tech, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician
if you remove that ground that you put on does the lights go out while im waiting for your answer i will look up the diagram these harnesses have somesplices that can fail has the car ever been wrecked
Yes the lights go out, I think the car was wrecked by the previous owner
i will pull the diagram and see what we can figure out
I can test the grounds for continuity, but by the diagram I have there are 4-5 splice packs just need to figure where and which one the headlamps are ran to.
ok im working on getting those locations we can get you fixed

ok thanks

ok thanks

there is a splice pack behind the air filter in the engine compartment,and two next to the left hand fuse panel. I figure its one of those 3 not for sure which one.

sorry i didnt get your stuff done my server was having trouble yesterday i will be working on yours for the next hour and i will be able to give you a bunch of info
ok this is where i think we should start at the switch ground the dark blue plug c1 terminal 34 if it lights it is a switch i no its new but thats where it starts if it dont lightn go to the under hood fuse box drk blu terminal d1 and ground it if it lights it is inbetween the switch and then fuse box if it doesnt there is a break in the head light harness there are no other splices in that wire
ok I will try that
get back to me and let me no what the results are
car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician

Sure thing, will do that after I get off work this evening.

ok
Ok I used my diagram last night, checked the dk blue #34 from the switch to the fuse box under the hood d1 then to the bcm. there was a break in the wire from the switch to the fuse box in the dk blue wire, installed a jumper wire.. problem fixed thanks for the help .....
glade to help
car tech
car tech
car tech, ASE Certified Technician