WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Experience:  Journeyman Plumber/Estimator
6211579

Basement toilet culprit. If valve is open, when other

Basement toilet culprit. If valve is open, when other toilets are flushed in the house, upon filling up again, foghorn sound through house. When basement toilet is closed, never a foghorn sound. Replaced the fill valve and the flapper and even had Roto Router come out and they replaced the valve at the wall. This fixed the problem for 2 weeks and now it's back again. What could it be?? We are moving in 10 days and the house needs to be in working order!
JA: What's the brand and model of your toilet?
Customer: Will have to go check
JA: How long has this been going on with your toilet? What have you tried so far?
Customer: see notes above. It started a few years back but since it's a toilet we almost never used, we solved the problem by shutting it off. Now we need it to work
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If prompted for a phone call the website does that automatically. Feel free to accept or ignore

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Wade. Can I ignore my phone and chat with you here?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would rather text

Even though it only happens at that toilet I need to to make sure all valves that are suppose to be open are fully open and all valves that are supposed to be closed are fully closed. All valves meaning stop valves under sinks. Shut offs at main. Water heater feeds. All of them.

Yes ignore for now

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Everything is open, except for that toilet right now. We went through a big exercise with Roto Router plumber by draining all pipes and turning them back on again
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Lifting the float doesn't stop the noise either.

Okay what brand of fill valve did he use?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The only thing that stops it is turn that toilet off - even mid-foghorn!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
That's in the tank, right? Just a home depot special - it was my husband that replaced that one. The valve at the wall is what the plumber replaced.

Inside tank near left side

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
It was NOT a Fluidmaster

There’s what I think is the issue is. Use a fluid master 400A.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK, will give that a try. Funny it stopped for a few weeks when the shut off valve was replaced though?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is that a straightforward replacement? Hubby can do?

Yes very easy

$7 at home depot

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK. Any theory as to why it stopped for a few weeks?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also, does it make sense that it would be the fill valve if it happens when we flush OTHER toilets but stops making the sound if we shut that toilet off? so weird to me.

Water causes noise in valves when partially open. The fill valve has a rubber piece that acts like a flap and makes some Horrendous is noises. Why it went away likely has more to die with the shutting off of the water rather than actually even fixing the issue

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
should we check the shut off valves on all the other toilets and make sure they are wide open?

I had a fill valve in a school principal’s private bathroom when other toilets flushed. Even though it was 100’s of feet away.

Yes as I stated before make darn sure they are all 100% open

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK, thanks so much Wade! Wish us luck!

Good luck and stay safe. Please leave me a five star rating