Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I just bought a home, a new construction, which has a Navien…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a home, a new construction, which has a Navien 210A water heater. We get barely warm water. Contacted the builder and was told it has a safety feature that is required by code and has to removed by the home owner. I have looked thru the manual and they mention DIP switches which have to be set for internal circulation, but there are no DIP switches that can be found when removing the cover from the unit. What are my options?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

It is brand new, the filters were clear. The thermostat is set at 120F but the water never gets hot, only barely warm. There is shower head icon lit up on the left corner of the screen.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Was told by the builder of the home that is was a simple thing to undo the safety mode, and they could not undo it because of code in the OKC area. Was hoping it was something as simple as entering the programming and turning it off.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I am aware of. It is a brand new unit. When I look inside the switch is thrown to the internal recirculation mode (stopcock valve). Unit sounds like it is running fine, just puts out only mildly warm water. No error codes are displayed.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Plumbing
5/29/2018
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 2 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I am a Navien factory certified repair technician

It sounds like cold water is mixing with the hot. What is the temperature setting on the unit?

The display says 120F however the water at the spigot is barely lukewarm
Was told there was a safety lock
Looking thru the manual it refers to a solution with internal recirculating and when you remove the cover it it turned to internal
The display screen does not allow you to go beyond 120 in its current state

Okay I’m sure it’s not a water heater problem, but a cross between hot and cold somewhere. Are you ready to test some things?

I am at work currently. If you give me a list of things to check I can do them when I get back in this evening

Okay hopefully you have a hot and cold shut off valve on the bottom of your unit. These are called isolation valves.

1. Shut of the cold valve feeding water to the unit
  2. Confirm the recirculation system is NOT running
  3. Open up the HOT valve at a bathtub
  4. If you have pressurized flow for an extended period of time then you have a cross between hot and cold

Most likely places to cross are at

• Hose Bibs which have both hot and cold and both valves are on with a sprayer at the end
  • Laundry sinks with valves left on and a sprayer on the faucet
  • Shower valves left on with a diverter controlling flow
  • A physical cross done when piping was connected

Any luck?