Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a model gcv 40 100 water heater that I can't get the…

Customer Question
I have a model...

I have a model gcv 40 100 water heater that I can't get the pilot to light. Do I have to replace the whole burner assembly or can I just replace the thermo couple?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It just went out on me yesterday. However, the unit was installed new in 2008. We have had it regularly serviced, there are no leaks and the combustion chamber is spotless. All of my other gas appliances are working so I know there is no interruption of service.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am prétty good at the handy man thing.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just 1.what do I need? and 2 where can I get it?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Plumbing
5/28/2018
Plumber: Matthew A, General Contractor replied 2 months ago
Matthew A
Matthew A, General Contractor

Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you. Yes the thermocouple can easily be replaced. If you plan on doing the work yourself you can remove it first and then take it to your local hardware store. They come in a few sizes and are less than $10. The size isn't to important some are just longer length copper thats all. Another possibility is to order them online or call a service repair technician. They simply snap in and out of a little clip underneath. Another indication of it being bad is if the flame is orange colored. Orange flame means dirty and a blue flame means clear combustion. You might be able to clean it with a wire brush or a piece of sand paper LIGHTLY.

I do not recommend this unless you are mechanical skilled able and aware of the safety issues working with the natural gas. Your safety is my number one priority.

Thank you for reaching out to us i hope i have helped you with the information you were looking for. Please take a moment to rate my service and if you have any other questions let me know. Take care and be well.

It turns out that A.O. Smith water heaters have a modular burner assembly that includes a factory mounted thermo-couple which has a unique capacitor mounted mid-way down the 24" copper tubing. Unless someone is very adept at duplicating this factory mounted capacitor it may be helpful for other's with this same problem to be advised of this.
Thank you for the info sometimes we might inadvertently mixup the model numbers or be led to other information not uo to date from some resources. This incident was duley noted and prioritized. Thank you again.