Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have a Paloma tankless water heater, Propane, It flashes…

Customer Question
We have a Paloma...

We have a Paloma tankless water heater, Propane, It flashes 12 C7 and shuts off. , When we turn the water off it goes back to normal on the remote

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It did it a little last week and then corrected it self, or started working, then yesterday it started again, we have no hot water !!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If we can

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Very frustrated !

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Plumbing
5/26/2018
Plumber: Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector replied 2 months ago
Jarrett Baker
Jarrett Baker, Building Inspector

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your question regarding your water heater. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. I understand your question to be"Paloma tankless water heater, Propane, It flashes 12 C7 and shuts off ?" So to answer;

Troubleshooting Chart

The information in the following troubleshooting chart may help you diagnose and/or fix a problem you may be experiencing. Please review this chart before calling for service assistance. DANGER: Shock Hazard – Make certain power to the water heater is OFF before removing protective cover for any reason. Electric shock will cause death or serious personal injury. WARNING: For Your Safety, DO NOT attempt repair of electrical wiring, gas piping remote control, burners, vent connectors, or other safety devices. Refer repairs to a qualified service technician.

• Problem Possible Cause Solution Not enough or no hot water.
  • 1. Unit is not ON. 1. Turn on the unit by pressing the POWER ON/OFF button.
  • 2. Water shut-off valve is not completely opened. 2. Check shut-off valve and open completely.
  • 3. Hot water faucet is not completely opened. 3. Open hot water faucet completely. (The main burner goes off when incoming water volume is inadequate.)
  • 4. Water piping is frozen. 4. Allow piping to thaw.
  • 5. Electrical power is disconnected or water supply is shut off.
  • 5a. Plug in the power cord or reconnect the power supply at the circuit breaker box.
  • 5b. Completely open the water supply valve. (Inadequate water volume will cause the main burner to turn off.) 6. The temperature may be set too low.
  • 6. Increase the temperature setting.
  • 7. Mixing valve malfunctions (if applicable). 7. Check and replace the mixing valve.
  • 8. Error code displayed on the remote control. 8. See “Service Error Code Chart” on page 26. If required, contact a qualified service technician.
  • 9. Not enough water demand. 9. Increase the hot water flow at the faucet.
  • 10. Water filter is clogged or dirty. 10. Clean the water filter. (See page 17.)
  • 11. Fixture aerator is clogged or dirty. 11. Clean the aerator.
  • 12. Scale buildup in the heat exchanger. 12. Check for error code. If required, contact a qualified service technician. 13. Hot and cold water lines reversed.
  • 13. Reverse the water lines. Care Instructions 24 Care Instructions

CARING FOR YOUR WATER HEATER

• Problem Possible Cause Solution Water not hot enough.
  • 1. The temperature may be set too low. 1. Increase the temperature setting at the remote control.
  • 2. The gas valve is not completely opened. 2. Check and completely open the gas valve.
  • 3. Gas supply pressure is low. 3. Contact your gas utility company or gas contractor to verify the gas meter and gas piping size.
  • 4. Bleed-over in one of the hot water fixtures. 4. Contact a dealer or a qualified service technician. Water too hot. 1. Temperature is set too high. 1. Decrease the temperature setting at the remote control. 2. Water shut-off valve is not completely opened. 2. Check and completely open the water shut-off valve.
  • 3. Small amount of water has been heated. 3. Increase the hot water flow at the faucet to allow more water to flow through the water heater. Fan continues to rotate after the hot water faucet is closed. The post-purge cycle clears flue gases. Normal operation. 1 2 3 1 2
  • Troubleshooting Chart (cont.) 25 Care Instructions CARING FOR YOUR WATER HEATER Service Error Code Chart Your water heater has an electronic diagnostic system built into it. When the water heater finds a problem, it displays an error code in the LED display on the remote control. The following chart lists the error codes along with their possible problem and solution. Using this chart may help you diagnose and/or fix a problem you may be experiencing. Please refer to this chart before calling for service assistance. DANGER: Shock Hazard – Make certain power to the water heater is OFF before removing protective cover for any reason. Electric shock will cause death or serious personal injury. WARNING: For Your Safety, DO NOT attempt repair of electrical wiring, gas piping, remote control, burners, vent connectors, or other safety devices. Refer repairs to a qualified service technician. When an error code is displayed: Turn off all the hot water faucets. Turn off the water heater by pressing the POWER ON/OFF button on the remote control. Wait about 5 minutes; then restart the water heater by pressing the POWER ON/OFF button. Turn on a hot water faucet and recheck the remote control display. If the error code remains in the display: 1. Turn off the hot water faucet. 2. Turn off the water heater. 3. Follow the error code chart information. 4. Restart the water heater, turn on a hot water faucet, and recheck the remote control display. If the error code is still shown: 1. Turn off the hot water faucet. 2. Turn off the water heater. 3. Make note of the displayed error code and call for service assistance. See “Call for Assistance” section on page 26. NOTICE: If the displayed error code is not listed in the chart, immediately turn off the water heater and call for service assistance. 1 2 3 4 26 Error Code Possible Cause Solution 1L Water heater has buildup of lime deposits. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 05 Air intake or vent exhaust opening may be blocked. Remove any blockage. (Air intake requires 12 in. [30 cm] of clearance.) The vent pipes on the vent termination may not be connected properly. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 11 The gas shut-off valve is not fully opened. Check shut-off valve and open completely. 12 Gas service has been interrupted. Contact your gas utility company. LP gas is running low (LP models only). Refill or replace your LP gas container. 13 If this code is still displayed after taking the numbered steps above. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 14 Water heater is overheating. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 15 The heat exchanger is too hot. Check for blockage in the vent. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 29 Neutralizer is clogged. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 31 Faulty inlet thermistor. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 33 Faulty outlet thermistor. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 61 or 99 Faulty blower motor. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 65 Faulty water flow solenoid. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 92 The neutralizer needs to be replaced soon. The unit can be used for a while, but contact a dealer or qualified service technician. 93 The neutralizer must be replaced. The unit cannot be used until the neutralizer is replaced. Contact a dealer or qualified service technician. P1 Not enough water flow to operate the unit. Increase the water flow from the fixtures. Service Information Service Error Code Chart (cont.) Care Instructions CARING FOR YOUR WATER HEATER 1. All questions, adjustments, repairs, and/or routine maintenance should be directed to your installer, plumbing contractor, or licensed service agent. If your contacts have moved or are not available, please refer to the telephone directory, commercial listings, or local utility company for qualified service assistance. 2. If your problem has not been solved to your satisfaction, contact the Rheem National Service Department at the following address: Rheem National Service Department*****Montgomery, Alabama 36117 Phone: 1-***-***-**** When contacting the manufacturer, the following information will be requested: A. Model and serial number. (See page 8 or the ratings plate on the front of the water heater.) B. Address where the water heater is located. C. Name and address of installation contractors (page 8) and all qualified service companies that have worked on the water heater. D. Original installation date. (See page 8.) E. Dates any service or preventive maintenance was performed. F. Details of the persisting problem. G. List of businesses that have tried to fix this problem, along with dates of service. Call for Assistance IF YOU NEED SERVICE INSTALL

HERE IS THE COMPLETE PDF

HERE IS A VIDEO

“Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star. It has been my pleasure to assist you! Thank you for posting your question. – Your business is very valuable to us.- J Baker