Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a Rinnai water heater that has been installed for…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a Rinnai water heater that has been installed for several years and never used. its set up to heat the basement floor using hot water. i turned everything on and got the water flowing through the system but the Rinnai unit does not start. Where should i start looking for problems.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

No, but everything appears to be installed correctly. i think it may have to do with igniting the gas.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its easy to solve.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have an identical unit that heats the water for the house and it works fine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Plumber: WCohn, Journeyman Plumber replied 4 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I am a Rinnai factory trained and certified repair technician

What’s the model number and what is on the display?

Sorry, don't have that now.

Get back to me when you can. I'm looking for temp setting and diagnostic codes

temp setting is at 120 and no codes appear. is a if the system is ready to go but does not turn on when water is flowing.
gas is on, but i think there might be some air in the line. not sure if i need to bleed the air or how.

If air was the issue you'd get error code 11. If it isn't firing then it isn't sensing flow.

1. Water isn't flowing enough (min is .6 GPM)
  2. Water is flowing wrong direction
  3. Sensor is stuck
  4. Sensor is bad
can you send me a picture of what the sensor looks like?

It varies ny model number, but it is the first thing the incoming water flows through inside the cabinet of the unit

Are you in front of the unit now?

no, not near the unit..

I'll load a couple of pics of the controllers. Tell me which one you have

didn't get your pictures, but looking on line it might be something like RL75iP...?

Okay with the system on and water flowing press the up arrow and then the power button to get the flow rate. tell me what you get

Wade, I'll have to get back you on that. The system is at a house in the country, with no internet or phone, so need to do this remotely. so, I'll check for water flow over .6 GPM. anything else?

That's the first step. I have a feeling its going to be zero. get a picture of the model and serial number and we can go from there

Okay, thanks for your time..