Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have been having problems with black water. My water will…

I have been having...

I have been having problems with black water. My water will be clear for a while then turn black for a while

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It has been going on about a month. I replaced the softener 2 weeks ago and the well pump 1 week ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depending what needs to be done

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I did have the well shocked a week ago the water was black a few days then cleared up for 2 days then today turned black again

3/31/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Does it happen whether using hot or cold water or only hot? If you look in your toilet tank, is there any black debris in there? If so, will you describe it? Do you know what type of water piping is in your home?

Both hot and cold. Toilet tank has black debris but also is old toilet that needs replacing. I’m not sure what water piping the house was built in 1963

Is there a crawlspace or basement or anywhere that water piping is exposed? Could it be galvanized piping? Do you think it is the original piping?

There is a basement and I can see the pipes they bronze in color

Maybe copper?

Maybe I don’t know much about plumbing. Do you think it’s the pipes causing the black water

It could be a few things. Do you think the problem started after getting the new pump or did you have it before with the old pump too?

I had it before with the old pump too

Well that tells us a lot. It is one of two things. It is that some of or all of your water piping is galvanized piping and the lining inside the piping has eroded. In that case then the piping would need to be replaced. It could also (and this is most likely) that the rubber gaskets in the shut offs and valves are wearing out and the rubber debris is settling in the water piping. When the water is off then turned on the debris comes out of the valves until the loosest debris has been expelled. In that case you would have all of the shut off valves replaced and any rubber seals in shower valves and sink faucets replaced then flush the water lines to get the rest out.

that would cause that much black water? Just seems like a lot of black water for valves being worn and broken down

How long does it take to run clear?

An hour or two
Sometimes it goes from black to grey or foggy and then stays grey for hours

Oh well that is not the valves. That is quite unfortunate. I would suggest getting a water test kit and testing the water to see what is contaminating the water. It could be bacteria and the shocking of the well was not effective. The lining of very old water piping would cause the same issue. Once you test to confirm and have someone inspect your water piping then a plan could be made. The plan may consist of shocking the well again, replacing water piping and installing a filter system. The valves issue would be black water for short bursts. Not as long as described though.

Ok I will try testing my water thanks

You are very welcome.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber