Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I plan to replace the thermocouple on my water heater

Whirlpool model BFG1F4034T3NOV. a) do i...
I plan to replace the thermocouple on my water heater Whirlpool model BFG1F4034T3NOV.
a) do i need to use gas-rated teflon tape when reconnecting the manifold tube?
b) can you specify which thermocouple i should purchase from Lowes or Home Depot for this application? I havent yet been there to see if they have multiple options or not, biut i do see this one listed online: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Water-Heater-Thermocouple/3693212
3/28/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

No teflon on the manifold tube, it's a ground joint. You can use any thermocouple that's long enough. Even if it's too long you can coil up the excess. We prefer Honeywell but the one you link will work.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor