Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Tub faucet still leaks (runs) after replacing valve

stems/cartridges and seats. Everything is...
Tub faucet still leaks (runs) after replacing valve stems/cartridges and seats. Everything is properly tightened.
Video attached (current leak condition).
3/28/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Did you replace the rubber gaskets and the seats? Did you try the new rubber gaskets on the old stems?

We replaced the seats. The new stems had the rubber gaskets already installed. We did not remove the new rubber gaskets and try them on the old stems.

Were the new stems made by Danco?

FYI, over the past week we have removed and re-installed the old stems several times, each time we screwed it all back in pretty tight and the running leak slowed to a drip. Over the next 2-3 days, that drip turned back into a running leak again until we repeated the process.

Did you teflon tape the seats?

There is a product number on the package but I didn't see a brand name on the stem or packaging. We e-mailed the photos above to a local plumbing supply shop that specializes in hard-to-find parts, and they were confident that these were a match.

How about trying the rubber gaskets from the new stems on the old stems and let me know how that goes. Also be sure that the seats have teflon tape on them. Ok?

We did not put teflon tape inside the seat threads, but we'll try that and replace the gaskets on the original stems. If we could easily screw in the replacement stems, wouldn't that mean they are probably the right ones? I have no idea.
The new valve stem (Cold) has product number PP910334LH, which appears to match Pfister brass stem assembly with stem extension. I couldn't find a match on the Hot stem, but the product number is *****

They very well may be the correct ones. The model number would be the same for Pfister or Danco. The Danco brand parts tend to be not quite right. The issue may only be the seats do not have teflon tape. Be sure to apply tape clockwise so that the tape does not come off when threading it in.

It does sound like the only issue is the seats are not sealed with tape so maybe only do that first.

Got it, thanks, I’ll give it a try and report back.

Perfect

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Well, I am calling it a night. Let me know how it goes when you can. I am sure it will all work well now though.