Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a shower that has a slow to moderate drip. The faucet…

Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is Terry. I have a shower that has a slow to moderate drip. The faucet is a Kohler. I replaced the cartridge (GP77759) with a new Kohler cartridge but still have the drip problem. Lost as to what to try next.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The shower is usable so not serious but the person said the drip has been getting worse slowly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

3/28/2018
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Is there a difference in the drip from before and after you replaced the cartridge

No
I prefer written

Have you checked the pressure to your house?

Seems pretty normal.

But not checked with gauge?

The shower is on the third floor
no on the gauge
As a test I could close the main valve a bit to see what difference that makes if you think its pressure related.

Third floor isn’t a factor. Here’s what it can be.

1. Shower valve body is bad
  2. New cartridge is bad
  3. New cartridge isn’t properly installed
  4. Handle hits stop before being completely off
  5. Too high of pressure

Partially closing valve changes flow rate but not pressure

Remember if you have 100 psi in an air compressor you have 100 psi in the hoses too. The smaller the hose the smaller the flow rate but pressure stays the same.

Gotcha. I will try another new cartridge and go from there. It wouldn't be the first time the new piece was also bad in my world. Thanks.

Also buy a $5 pressure gauge to screw on hose connection. If over 80psi it should be reduced.

Gauges are typically in the lawn sprinkler area

PLease leave a five star rating

Will do on the pressure gauge

Awesome

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber