Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a cast iron sewer vent line in my attic that has a…

I have a cast...

I have a cast iron sewer vent line in my attic that has a section running horizontally which has developed a large crack so that when it rain it leaks and stains my ceiling. What is the proper way to fix it? I have had one plumber say a rubber coupling/sleeve over the crack is fine. another plumber said they can replace just 2' of line in that section with PVC. and another plumber say the whole portion that runs horizontally needs to be replaced. I don't know which one to trust! Help!!

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A couple of months.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. I've had both my home warranty company and private plumbers look at it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The house was built in 1964 and it appears to be the original 4" cast iron line installed when it was built

3/27/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the house is 50+ years old you have poured lead joints at each length of pipe. No need to replace the entire run now but I'd replace the entire section (between the joints at either end) that's cracked. PVC is OK as long as the cast iron is properly supported.

replacing just the 2 foot section that is leaking is not adequate?
Hi Rick. Did you see my follow-up question?

Correct, since there was never any water flowing through this pipe that crack is a stress crack and would likely continue along the entire length of that piece of pipe even after the existing crack is cut out.

Ok, that makes sense. What do I tell the home warranty company to show them the plumber who wants to just replace a section is not proposing an adequate fix?
Especially since there is a long, approximately 6-10 foot section that runs horizontally before it turns back vertical to vent out to the roof?

The difference in cost is minimal and the likelihood of a new crack is high. It would be much cheaper to do it right now rather than paying for a second trip when the crack reappears further down the line. Cast iron pipe comes in 5' & 10' lengths.

Ok, thank you so much. is there a particular way they should connect PVC to Cast Iron or is that a standard thing all plumbers do the same?
I ask because I am very skeptical of their plan at this point.
Perfect. Thanks so much for your help!

You're welcome

I'd appreciate a favorable rating.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor