Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Brand new Korky 4010 full toilet kit is somehow leaking.

there’s slow dripping coming from...
Brand new Korky 4010 full toilet kit is somehow leaking. there’s slow dripping coming from top of fill valve and a very soft gentle hissing sound - & tiny bubbles clustered around bottom pipe of fill valve. Flapper does not seem to be leaking. Water dropping way below normal level. I’ve hand tightened all bolts and connections several times. All washers in right place. No water leaking outside of toilet, just draining tank .
Help! ???
3/26/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

How tight did you tighten the very large bolt on the bottom of the tank?

The issue sounds like it is the large nut that holds and seals the flush valve. The water is leaking past the seal on the flush valve and into the toilet. Unfortunately you will have to remove the tank and tighten that large nut. If you do not have a large enough set of channel lock pliers you can also use a strap wrench. click here

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I’ll do what u said, but The instructions said to just hand tighten the mounting nut.
What do you think of this other possible explanation ? The kit came with a thick rubber sponge gasket which I could not fit over the mounting nut due to an existing black rubber washer type thing that is set inside the big main hole to my Koehler tank. Should I have removed that and used the sponge gasket? That built in ring seemed pretty sturdy, was afraid to remove it - not sure if this could be the prob?

The cone looking sponge gasket goes over the big mounting nut. The flat black rubber washer goes inside the tank on the flush valve shank. When you removed the old apparatus you also remove any of the old gaskets. Everything is in that package to replace every part. If you turn off the water right now and the tank empties below the flapper that will confirm my suggestion is the issue. I am pretty confident that is what it is.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Not talking about a flat washer - it’s actually a triangle tank gasket — was I supposed to remove that?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Would have to remove it to fit the sponge gasket
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The kit did not come
With a triangle gasket

Oh yes. You would remove that too. Everything in the tank gets replaced. Bolts too. That kit only came with two tank bolts though, right? You might have to reuse one of the old tank bolts or buy another set of tank bolts since the toilet you have takes three bolts and most others only have two.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Ok I’ll LYK how it goes - I’m bad at all this so I appreciate your patient help

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any more issues. I am happy to continue to help. If I do not respond right away I may be off at work somewhere but I surely will as soon as I can.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Seems to have worked - water level appears stable - however I put paper towels on floor to see if there’s any leakage and they are getting slightly wet. Can’t figure out why, tightened all bolts and looked/felt for leaks and don’t see any. Very mysterious.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Just figured it out- leaking from a bolt. It’s as tight as can be, any suggestions?

If you put a metal washer on the bolt, then a rubber washer, then put it through the hole then remove the metal washer and only put the rubber washer for the inside of the tank.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks but it already only has rubber washer inside and metal washer outside

Alright. So that would mean that it is just not tight enough. You don't want to tighten down one side all the way then the other. You have to tighten them alternating between the two. Hand tight is not enough too. The tank should be steady and not have much movement if any.

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber