Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a gas water heater that can hold a pilot light, but…

I have a gas water...
I have a gas water heater that can hold a pilot light, but when I turn the thermostat from pilot light to low the burner ignites but soon thereafter it goes out. I then have to wait before the pilot light will ignite again
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

This sounds like a failing gas valve. How old is the water heater?

I'm pretty good with plumbing I've done extensive bathroom remodeling as a pro for over 15 years. I figured it is either that or a thermocouple . But how can I determine which?
its newer than 2009

Well it’s not the thermocouple because if it were the pilot wouldn’t light at all. Can you upload a picture of the gas valve? Is it cast aluminum or a plastic covered one?

Okay, one last question. What is the brand and serial number?

Ge. It's a 2012, and serial is GELN0212418516

Okay that water heater is manufactured by Rheem and may still be under warranty. Here's a link to your gas valve

https://parts.rheem.com/OA_HTML/xxRPDCibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?part=SP14270G&sitex10165

Depending if its a standard 6 year warranty the heater was manufactured 02/12 so you may have missed your window by a month

Either way thats the part you need and I'd appreciate a 5 star rating?

Any further questions?

My friend a certified plumber had gotten back to me I was just on the phone with him he thought that there was a chance that it could be a flame sensor and that I should try cleaning that first
I like that you were prepared with the diagram. Is it really that straight forward? I know you can't guarantee that it is a gas control valve but how certain would you say that you are

85%

Anything else? or are you ready to rate me?

I will rate you that is not a problem . Just so I am prepared for this work tomorrow. What part is your other 15% of confidence siding on?
The other 15% what part???

The burner assembly, but VERY unlikely

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Thanks
Your recommendations were incorrect. I called general electric. They had me remove the cover to gain access to the inside of the combustion chamber. Upon inspection they determined that the glass safety switch had triggered. They sent me the part for free, and I installed it myself.