Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My hot water is running warm water, not hot. I have a Ruud…

My hot water is...

My hot water is running warm water, not hot. I have a Ruud Ruudglas Pacemaker Electric Waterheater. Is t

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

First time today I turned the hot water on. Water is warm and stayed warm through my shower but never got hot.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

N

3/26/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Do you have a circulation system? Do you have a multimeter? How old is the water heater?

I don't know. No, I don't have a multimeter. Not quite 18 years old.

Well, it is almost certainly the element but it may be the thermostat. They have kits with everything available. I would recommend replacing the elements and thermostats and flushing the water heater really well and that will solve the issue. The label on the water heater will let you know what wattage element is required.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

thank you!!!

You are very welcome.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

I will also say that considering the age of the water I would inspect it thoroughly to be sure that it is not leaking at all. It may have a slight leak on the bottom or the top. If it is leaking at all then it is not worth fixing and will need to be replaced. Once it starts leaking like that the leak only get worse and it does not take long.