Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Only lukewarm water. No hot water with our 8 yr old Rinnai,

Only lukewarm water. No...

Only lukewarm water. No hot water with our 8 yr old Rinnai

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Since this am... I did laundry ok last night it was ok, pthis am fold shower

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Not sure depends on if it's an easy fix

3/25/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Are you currently doing any remodeling? Is there any error code?

No error code. The remodeling project is no where near the tank.

That is totally alright. Do you have the whole kit for the new shower valve including the handle, cover plate etc.? Have your installer install the cartridge in the new shower valve and that will solve the issue. If you would like for me to explain why this happened or if the installer does not understand I am happy to.

The shower and the Rennai have been working quite well for about 8 years. Not a new install. Just no hot water starting this am. The Reno project had nothing to do with the water or shower

There is a new shower valve in the renovation?

No.. the Reno project is for wall leaks from Harvey. No water pipes or faucets involved.

The new shower valve in the renovation does not have the cartridge installed. If the cartridge is installed in the new shower that will solve the issue. I am happy to explain why that is. We could do over the phone if you accept the offer or I could explain why through the chat.

Sorry I hit enter at the same time as you.....

There is no shower in the renovation or any shower valve!

Sorry, I was finishing explaining what I thought the issue was and hit enter at the same time as your response. Is there no hot water anywhere or just the shower?

No hot water anywhere in the house.

Is there a controller pad for the water heater or display on the unit? Some do not have a display at all.

There is a controller pad that is turned on and says 110 degrees. I gave turned that on and off, turned the circuit breaker and the on off switch outside next to the unit and none of them have resulted in a restart of the device

Would you like to accept the phone offer and discuss over the phone? Surely I can tell you what the issue is but there are lots of questions.

No thx

So, the water is warmer than the cold water just not hot and there is not an error code on the display when using the hot water? Every faucet in the house is the same? When running the hot water out of a tap do you hear the water heater firing or trying to fire or is there nothing?

Do you have a circulation system? Is the water heater for heating water only or is it for heating also?

Do you have radiant heating or heated floors?

No firing of the unit, but it is outside and insulated. No radiant floors, doesn't heat anything but the water. No heated floors. Not icy cold water just lukewarm,

Have you looked at the display while the hot water is turned on? What kinds of noises does the water heater make while the hot water is running? If the water is slightly warm compared to running the cold water it must be firing some. Does it make some noises and not get hot but for sure there is not an error code displayed?

If you open the temperature relief valve on the water heater, does the water come out hot there?

Too dark to look now, will check in the am

Sounds good.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber