Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

The water heater is supplying 120 degrees, but all of the…

The water heater is...

The water heater is supplying 120 degrees, but all of the showers and sink faucets are only at 105 degrees.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

About 2 months. the water heater was cleaned and descaled last month, but it didn't help. I verified the discharge temp from the water heater was correct during the PM.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I just don't know where to start. I can't find any isolation valves for the showers or tubs.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The plumber said it was probably a shower/tub faucet cartridge bypassing. I really don't want to shut off water to the entire house, pull a cartridge, go get a new one, install the new one just to find out it's a different cartridge.

3/22/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Assuming you don't have a re-circulation line, you can start by shutting off each sink, one at a time, if the sink has a single handle valve. If that doesn't reveal the culprit your only option is to cut in isolating valves so you can do the same for the tub/showers. Otherwise replacing cartridges is the only option. Some tub/shower valves have integral stops. If you remove the trim plate and see stems (with a screwdriver slot) at the piping inlets to the valve then you can shut the valve off there. Most valves don't have integral stops.

Thank you. My plumper said that only a shower or tub valve would cause the bypass. I do not have a re-circulation line and when I was running the washing machine I used a stethoscope to try and hear a bypass but no luck.

Some single handle sink faucet cartridges can also bypass. Washing machine is a remote possibility but that's easy to isolate.

I understand. I was doing laundry and it is the only supply that doesn't have a faucet so I wanted to try and isolate the bypass by listening to the shower and tub valves.

Do you have more questions?

No sir. Thank you. I will start with the kitchen faucet, I don't like it anyway and hope it is the culprit.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor