Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Am looking at a new apartment and discovered that in the tub…

Am looking at a...

Am looking at a new apartment and discovered that in the tub they have installed the faucet, regulator & shower head on one end of the tub and the drain and overflow drain on the other end of the tub - thus rendering the tub unusable for laying down and taking a bath. Is this even permitted to install the plumbing this way? I'm debating whether or not this is a big enough problem to cancel the lease. Is this legal? Is it to code? I know it's totally not normal that's for sure and would love a qualified plumber to tell me I'm not crazy and what I should say to the landlords - this is a brand newly constructed rehab of an old mill building where they constructed each unit out of a vast expanse of space so I can not see any reason other than stupidity why they would plumb this tub this way.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

What/ Are you reading my question? This has nothing to do with a thermostat or filters - think you must be answering the wrong person here Pearl

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Please READ my question - I don't plan on doing the work myself at all I plan on finding out if this is at all normal or to code.

3/20/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Please ignore the intake bots questions. What you describe while not technically a code violation, it's not installed according to standard practice. That could be interpreted as a code violation since all work must be done in a workman like manner.

ok so if it's not a code violation then I guess I am stuck in the lease with this - it's definitely not workmanlike and I can't use the tub. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. To be clear there is no specific code stipulation for this. But work must be done in a workman like manner is in the code so it that sense it could be called a violation.

Ok so if I wanted to pursue that I could get with the building or plumbing inspector?

You could give them a call and get their input.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor