Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER. MODEL #ND40T62-403. NO…

Customer Question
I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL...

I HAVE A WHIRLPOOL GAS WATER HEATER. MODEL #ND40T62-403. NO HOT WATER. HAD HOT WATER BEFORE RUNNING BATH WATER. I CHECKED THE MANUEL AND IT FLASHES 3 TIMES OVER 3 SECOND THEN NOTHING FOR 3 SECONDS THEN FLASHES 3 AGAIN. BOOK SAYS "END SWITCH FAILED OPEN or TCO LIMIT LOCKOUT". I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE. PLEASE ADVISE.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

NOV. 2011

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

HOPE SO

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I DON'T THINK SO. HOT WATER CLOSET IS CLEAN WITH PLENTY OF COMBUSTION AIR, ETC

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/20/2018
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The TCO is the thermal cut off device. it's under the main burner. Replacing it is a job for a plumber. Only a licensed pro can obtain the part.

Thanks Rick, what about the "end switch failed open"?

When the damper opens properly it closes an end switch proving it's open so the ignition process can proceed. This failure would be a warranty issue which a plumber could confirm for you so you can make a warranty claim.