Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I am remodeling my master bath and underneath the sink there…

I am remodeling my...

I am remodeling my master bath and underneath the sink there appears to be an old sewer vent pipe that is not attached to the other pipes or trap. May I cut that off and recap it underneath my mobile home. Thank you

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, are you working with a contractor?

No I am not working with a contractor doing the job myself need to do so because of cost.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Planning on doing the work myself because of cost. I am on a fixed budget.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The sewer vent line is not attached or does not meet up with any other lines underneath the cabinet or vanity. I think I can just cut it off below the sub floor in my mobile home and cap it off.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Daniel Plourde

hi i am dan i can help you with this. can you please take a picture showing the piping and use the add files button to post the picture here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Remember this is on a trailer house or mobile home and we love up north where we get a lot of snow and cold weather

that pipe is a vent pipe for the sink. the device on the top of it is called a studor vent. instead of the vent pipe going all the way to the roof these devices are used to vent small fixtures. without this pipe, the sink will not drain properly. i would not recommend cutting that pipe below the floor. it should remain how it is. if you have any more questions about this please let me know or if this helps you i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars on your page.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even though the vent pipe is not attached to the other pipes it is not recommended that I cut it ok but can I move it so it is behind the wall. I need to have the pipe moved since I am needing to install a new shower in the bathroom and the new shower would butt against the pipe and would make it look nasty especially since the new shower stall is glass

the pipe should be connected to the main pipe below the floor. it can be moved into the wall but then there will have to be an access door to access the studor vent for servicing.

Daniel Plourde
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is do able thank you I will also need to make an access panel to the supply lines and connections for the shower. Have a great day and thanks for the help. I will give you 5 stars.

thank you for using this service

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber