Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a two-story home. Two bathrooms up and one 1/2 bath…

I have a two-story...

I have a two-story home. Two bathrooms up and one 1/2 bath down. The 1/2 bath sits below the hall bath - both toilets are leaking - looks primarily in the front of the toilet. Not big leaks, just enough to know something is leaking. And upstairs bathroom has carpet that is starting to smell like an old basement. What to do?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A while

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything at the moment

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If only the base is wet then the toilets need to be pulled off the floor, the seal replaced then reset the toilets

OK, how hard is that to do? Any special tools needed? Two-man job? And how much is it to have a plumber do this?

If you've never done it before it's probably best to leave it to a plumber. No special tools are required, just open end wrenches and channel lock pliers. A plumber in the Boston area would charge ~$200 for both done at the same time. If you want an idea of what's involved go to YouTube and search "reset toilet" . There are several videos showing how to do it.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor