Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

The cold water faucet is closed with no water coming out of…

Customer Question
The cold water faucet...

The cold water faucet is closed with no water coming out of the spout itself. However, wter is leaking from the base of the spout in large volume forcing me to turn off the valve under the sink to stop the flow. I replaced the valve in the faucet and even tho it is closed ,the water still comes out the base of the spout but not the spout itself.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

About a month requiring me to close the valve under the sink to stop the flow.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No and I have had a plumber replace the valve at the faucet and he said the entire sink has to be taken apart to find the problem. With the water valve at the faucet turned off, no water comes out of the spigot but comes out at the base of the spigot.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I dont see how water can get by the closed faucet valve to get to the base of the spigot.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/17/2018
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 4 months ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Does the water stop coming out of the base after the water has been off for a while? Is this a kitchen faucet or a bath faucet?

If it is a bath faucet, if you remove the aerator and clean it out then replace it does it work then?