Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Wondering if I could get guidance or suggested links to

Hello!Wondering if I could get...
Hello!Wondering if I could get guidance or suggested links to installing a utility sink in my basement? It is already plumed out for a bathroom down there, but it doesn't seem to really benefit the utility sink insulation at all.
3/16/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

I don't follow what you mean by "It is already plumed out for a bathroom down there, but it doesn't seem to really benefit the utility sink insulation at all." Connecting a bathroom sink and utility sink are basically the same. The only difference is the height of the drain on a utility sink is lower than a bathroom sink.

Hi Rick!
Thank you for the quick response. It is in the unfinished part of the basement. The house was constructed for a bathroom to be put in if someone wanted it later.
Okay, I had a plumber come to give me a quote and he quoted $400. It doesn't look like that much work so I was going to try and DIY it. Does $400 sound like a decent quote to you?
Do you think this can be a DIY job?

$400 sounds a bit high but not outrageous particularly if the drain needs to be modified. If you have no plumbing experience this is not a DIY project

Can't the drain simply be routed to the hole in the floor? Do we really have to mess with the main drain at all?Okay, I will get more quotes.

The hole in the floor is for the toilet. No the drain can't be re-routed there

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
I'm talking about the hole in the middle of the basement floor that drains the basement if it floods..

Same answer

Well darn it. Okay. Thanks for your time

You're welcome