Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My toilet is backing up when flushed. I think there’s

something stuck inside. The water...
My toilet is backing up when flushed. I think there’s something stuck inside. The water will slowly flow down but initially when flushed, it just fills up to the top and then the water slowly flows down the drain. I tried to use a plunger but it’s still not flushing properly. How can I fix this?
3/15/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You need an auger (see attached picture). The only way to clear the stoppage is with this specialized snake. You can buy one at a big box store for about $35.

When I used the snake that I have, it seemed to move up toward the tank of my Kohler cimarron toilet instead of down the drain. Why isn’t it moving in the right direction or if it is why can’t I push it down to the drain?

It can't move towards the tank except that the internal trap in the bowl does go up then back down to the floor. The only snake that will work is the one in the picture

I’ll get one today. Thanks for your advice.

You're welcome. How to use a closet auger is not self evident and they don't come with instructions. You will note when you get one that the crank on the top end can pull up withdrawing the snake into the handle. You do this initially until only the tip of the snake is showing at the base of the handle. You then insert the tip into the bowl as far as you can. Next start turning the crank (clockwise) while slowly pushing the snake into the bowl. If you hit a spot where it refuses to move forward start cranking in the opposite direction then go back to clockwise once you get by the obstruction. If you can't get the snake all the way through the bowl it will probably have to be pulled off the floor and snaked from the outlet of the bowl backwards into the bowl.

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Good information. I’ll give it a try.
It worked. Thanks again.