Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My house is a custom house built by a high end builder for…

My house is a...

My house is a custom house built by a high end builder for himself less than 10 years ago.. The master bathroom shower drain cover is a very clean installation, but is the first I have had that did not have screws to remove it to get to hair clogs. It is circular but has rectangular holes. I need to open it to get to a hair clog, but I do not want to mess it up. I am pretty sure it is a Kohler product because all the other plumbing fixtures are.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The drain has been draining slowly for a couple of weeks. I just need to know the proper way to open the cover.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Of course.

3/14/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

That is not a big deal at all. The drain cover just clips in so you just pry the edge of it a bit and it will come off.

You might also just try a plunger to clear the drain. That may be all it needs.

The plunger will work on a shower or toilet but nothing else really since there are overflow drains on everything else so it will never get suction.

All my plungers are too fancy. I'l get an old-fashioned one tomorrow and try it. If that doesn't work, I'll try to remove the cover and drag the hair out with a Zip-It. Thanks. I'll let you know what works. Signing off now. It's late here.

Yup, don't wanna use the formal plungers on this, better get a basic one. Have a good night.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber