Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My house is a custom house built by a high end builder for…

My house is a...

My house is a custom house built by a high end builder for himself less than 10 years ago.. The master bathroom shower drain cover is a very clean installation, but is the first I have had that did not have screws to remove it to get to hair clogs. It is circular but has rectangular holes. I need to open it to get to a hair clog, but I do not want to mess it up. I am pretty sure it is a Kohler product because all the other plumbing fixtures are.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The drain has been draining slowly for a couple of weeks. I just need to know the proper way to open the cover.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Of course.

3/14/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

That is not a big deal at all. The drain cover just clips in so you just pry the edge of it a bit and it will come off.

You might also just try a plunger to clear the drain. That may be all it needs.

The plunger will work on a shower or toilet but nothing else really since there are overflow drains on everything else so it will never get suction.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All my plungers are too fancy. I'l get an old-fashioned one tomorrow and try it. If that doesn't work, I'll try to remove the cover and drag the hair out with a Zip-It. Thanks. I'll let you know what works. Signing off now. It's late here.

Yup, don't wanna use the formal plungers on this, better get a basic one. Have a good night.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber