Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Our daughter filled the bathtub up for a bath. the water…

Customer Question
Hello Charles. Our...

Hello Charles. Our daughter filled the bathtub up for a bath. the water ended up above the piece in the bathtub that controls the stopper. Water was pouring down in the basement. Is this lever in the bathtub supposed to be under water without leaking?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

This is the first time we're aware of this. Our daughter says she noticed a "gurgling" sound when the water was above this lever.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well, if it's not a "big" job then yes. If the bathtub has to be removed then no.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This is the first time we're aware of this. We've given our grand daughter baths, but the water isn't nearly that high. No leaks. So we determined it was coming from the lever that controls the stopper.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/14/2018
Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 5 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, General Contractor

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

This is a common problem with the waste and overflow assembly specifically the rubber gasket behind the trip lever mechanism. If you plan to do this work be careful not to move the pipe too much as it is easy to dislocate the other pieces under the tub then you really will have leak problems.

Here are a couple of examples of the waste and overflow assembly. The 1st is a replacement gasket and the 2nd is what is under your tub.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Waste-And-Overflow-Gasket-58478/300734607

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Trip-Lever-1-1-2-in-Black-Poly-Pipe-Bath-Waste-and-Overflow-Drain-in-Chrome-WO-2-CR-TL/206393889

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 4 months ago

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 3 months ago

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on March 13, 2018 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 2 months ago

I do apologize for these continuing follow-up messages, however since this question remains open and will only close out once the rating portion has been completed by you. Please assist me by taking a few moments to fulfill the rating requirement and this will satisfy the system.

Thank you so much, I sincerely ***** *****

Best,

Dave

Plumber: David Bowden, General Contractor replied 1 month ago

Greetings...

I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been rated yet. If you could take a couple of moments and complete the 5 Star Rating which will close out the question I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave