Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a Bradford water heater. It would not come on and the…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Bradford white water heater. It would not come on and the power vent would just hum. Motor would not come on. Replaced entire power vent assembly...and same thing. I never get to the point of ignition because power vent needs to turn on too. I believe the pressure switch was part of the power vent too. All new parts. Something causing power vent not to turn on. Just loud humming from new transformer

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

The heater stopped working last week...because loud hum. I thought the power vent was dead...replaced entire assembly.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Gas water heater.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just want to know where I should look. What issue would prevent the power vent to come on at all. It must be reading a fault somewhere

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/13/2018
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

No fault since the blower coming on is the first thing that happens. Pressure switch doesn't come into play until after blower starts. Do you have power to the blower? What's the model of your unit?

Hi Rick-
Bradford White Model M2CTW50T10EN12. This is a new motor to replace the old one, and comes with new parts including the pressure switch. I plugged the motor in to the water heater, and plugged it in. The fan blades are clearly not turning.....the back of the motor gets hot, so what are the chances that this new motor is bad? This is the link to the picture of the new part...again, it just "hums" but the wheel does turn. https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Vent-Fan-Motor/2394061400/2679441

Not likely you have a bad motor but anything is possible. You need to verify voltage to the motor