Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Does a rear outlet toilet have to match up perfectly with…

Hi. Does a rear...

Hi. Does a rear outlet toilet have to match up perfectly with the hole in the wall? We’re having a new floor installed in the bathroom and we’d like the toilet to be on top of the new floor. It’s probably 1/4”-1/2” higher than the old floor. Thanks

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

Yes. We forgot to ask about the toilet though. The floor is getting done this weekend and the new toilet would be installed on Tuesday.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No. Not in either case A professional plumber is coming on Tuesday and a professional floor guy is coming tomorrow

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope. Just the alignment for the rear outlet toilet

3/10/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let meTnow and we can continue our conversation.

A 1/4" higher is fine, 1/2" is probably OK but is pushing the limit.

Is there a simple remedy for this problem?
I can’t spend $24 for a phone call. Sorry. We’re having a professional plumber install the toilet on Tuesday and we’re having our floor guy start the floor tomorrow. We don’t have the exact dimensions of our new toilet yet so we can’t ask the floor guy to build the floor around the toilet. What do we do?

No simple remedy but there is a fix. The old closet flange would have to be replaced with an offset flange. This would mean cutting the wall open if there is no other access. You need the dimensions of the new toilet if you want to avoid cutting the wall open.

Call prompt is automatic I have no control over it. We can continue here

Great thanks. I understand the call prompt. Not too worried about it. How in depth is the process to install an offset flange? Is it a major project that would require the wall being replaced?

Enough of the wall has to be opened up to access the piping. This usually means a hole ~ 2' square.

Ok. So theoretically, if I had the measurements of the new toilet, I can have the floor guy build around the toilet?

Not exactly. if you have the dimensions you can determine if the toilet outlet will line up (within normal tolerance as described above) with the closet flange. The toilet ALWAYS sits on top of the finish flooring.

OK. So I measured the old floor that was in there. It’s about 3/4 of an inch thick. They had built the old floor around the toilet and the toilet was sitting on the tile underneath and not on top of the finish floor. It seems like the flange for the toilet would be below the floor unless it was built around it.

Sounds like no matter what you use the flange will have to be changed. This is something the plumber can do.

Can they change the flange without having to cut a 2’ hole in the wall, so that the new toilet sits on the new floor?

If there is no other access to the piping then the only option is to cut the wall open.

Ok. So it sounds like no matter what, they’re going to have to cut a hole in the wall?

If there is no other access then yes.

The other option is to have them cut around the toilet again?

You don't want to do that. It's not the proper way to install any toilet.

Ok. I just talked to my floor guy. He said that he could leave the flange exposed so that potentially the plumber could hook up some sort of extension. Does that make sense? The toilet would still sit on top of the floor.

Now it sounds like you have a conventional toilet with the flange in the floor, not a rear outlet?!!

The toilet is definitely a rear outlet. The problem is that the previous owners built a new hardwood floor on top of an existing tile floor. Rather than try to fix the problem, they built the hardwood floor around the toilet. Where the toilet connects to the wall is actually below the top of the new floor.

Then we're back to cutting the wall open. What your flooring guy said makes no sense.

Of course you could tear out the hardwood which may solve the height problem without cutting the wall open

Yea. But he’s installing new hardwood and leaving a gap for the flange to connect. The plumber will have to put an extension on. Is there a piece to do that without cutting a hole?

I've said several times the only option is to cut the wall open!

Ok. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor