Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Honeywell water heater control valve won’t let gas through…

Customer Question
Honeywell water heater control...

Honeywell water heater control valve won’t let gas through to light pilot?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Came back from being out of town and water heater was off. Tried to relight but no pilot light.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Tested the thermopile and it checks out. (5-600mv) pilot tube and orifice clear. Igniter is sparking also.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Plumbing
Reset button was pressed also. It was not tripped.
3/10/2018
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 3 months ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

How old is the water heater? Is it that the pilot will not stay lit or you cannot even get it to light with the button depressed? Are you sure that the gas valve is on or that there is fuel getting to the water heater?

It’s 5 years old. Pilot won’t light at all and there is gas getting to the water heater but not through the valve.

Is there a light blinking on the gas valve?

No lights at all. Could be because it went out while I was out of town and no flame on thermopile isn’t supplying any electricity to valve.
I was out of town for 10 days. Came back and no hot water and no status lights blinking.

Is the water heater on a stand or on the floor? Also where is it located? Garage? Basement? What size room is it in and what else is in the room with it?

It’s in the attic of a fairly new home- 5 years old.

What else is around it?

Nothing around it. Close to and vented through the roof. I’m guessing the unusually windy days we had recently managed to blow the pilot out while I was away, and the thermopile didn’t keep the light blinking because there was no flame.
Went through all the usual procedures but couldn’t get the pilot to light. Can this control valve just shut off and not reopen because of lack of voltage/ flame to thermopile?

How about trying to push the connectors together around the gas valve and try starting it up again? You will see a few wires around the gas valve and a couple of connectors that are encased. Could be one of those are loose. It should still generate enough voltage to blink the status light. Let me know about the connectors.

I checked all connections. What is supplying voltage? Is there some battery I don’t know about? It’s probably been blinking for 10 days with nothing supplying voltage?

The power is generated from the thermopile but it may not be getting hot enough to blink the status light. I am almost certain the issue is the flammable vapor sensor. Hopefully it does not be replaced but I will say they usually go bad on Friday. The manufacturer will send a replacement for free although I am pretty sure hey are not available on the weekend. Sometimes the FVS can be reset with fresh air so I would try putting a household fan up there blowing on it and leave the access door open and maybe it will reset.