Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We live in a two-story town home. We've been having a

Hi. We live in a...
Hi. We live in a two-story town home. We've been having a problem with a leak that goes away and comes back underneath our bathroom into our kitchen. It'll go away for a week and come back we've sealed everything in the bathtub and it doesn't happen all the time
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesnt happen when were using the sink, flushing the toilet, or taking a shower. Is it always happens a few hours later. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all it'll go away and come back a week later. It left a hole in the ceiling in her kitchen but when you look up there all you see is subflooring
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The leak is directly below the bathtub.
3/9/2018
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

It’s most likely happening the entire time just not always detected. The fact that it shows AFTER leads me to believe this is the case

can you upload a few pics of the shower valve?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then why does the ceiling dry out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the shower valve

The handle you use to run water in the shower

How handy are you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ha ha. Not so much. But i can relay your response.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what we've done so far weave caulked around the outside edges of the water valve and the drain

Are you on an iPhone so I can walk you through some things via FaceTime?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 6 months ago it was really bad and we found out that if you angle the shower head to hit the splash guard where you turn on the water it was leaking behind that. So we caulked it and it stopped that problem at that time. But now it's back
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, sorry

It’s ok here is a phone offer. We can figure this out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ps the tub is enclosed so there's no caulking around the tub at all

Need a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Weve removed the handle that you pull out to turn the water on and off and tighten the screw that's behind that

Remove the handle again

Then take a picture

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok he did

Take a pic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My battery is dying, cant attach photo. Its a copper pipe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you just instruct me what to do I will charge my phone and get back with you

Hold on I’ll look for a stock pic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should the water be on when doing this

Yes. It’ll drip into this piece and run down the back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. If so, what the fix?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay we remove the handle when you say pull on the stem what are you referring to
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this where we use pliers

Yes just to pull out stem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
water is dripping

You need a new cartridge

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So why would this come and go as far as seeing the dampness on our ceiling

Its a drip. It has to accumulate to become visible

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It actually was completely dry for 8 days, then came back tonight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But if we shower daily, how does that drip not accumulate quicker
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it didnt drip behind handle, what would be your next suggestion? Just curious

All I can tell you is we just discovered a leak on your valve. It runs around in the void between the ceiling and floor. I can’t help you anymore without you opening the ceiling

Please leave me a five star rating

Broken p-trap or loose shoe fitting. Only detected by opening ceiling below.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, believe me, we are grateful for your guidance.

I appreciate you as well. I only get credit if you rate me please do so now

WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, had to charge my phone. I have left you 5 star rating if I have any more questions I'll address it here thank you

I’ll answer as I can. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay actually it wasn't dripping when we turned on the water but there is white Dusty chalky stuff in there. When we turn off the water it drips like crazy you can hear it dripping behind the wall.

The cartridge is bad. Replace it and the dripping will stop.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is the cartridge the photo you sent me last night

From Home Depot

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Great. The water's been off for about 30 minutes and it still dripping
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do we need to shut off the water when repairing this

Yes. Or it will shoot out every where

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Replaced cartridge. Now we have a drip coming from the bottom of the hot cold handle. It's dripping on to the spigot below
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you see my previous questions? Now it's dripping again through ceiling
WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Journeyman Plumber