Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Our 20-year old Rheem water heater (power vent; model no…

Our 20-year old Rheem...

Our 20-year old Rheem water heater (power vent; model no 21VP40-1 A; w. power glo ign. system) failed; as part of a 2 identical water-heater system for our house, we want a replacement with no, or little, installation changes/work. What is the model?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Built-in fan failed; replacement is $800 (we were told). We want a new full heater (power vent). Which is it?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No; we have a local plumber who will do it.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just the model (name, number etc) that fits (performance- and installation-wise)

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This is the closest currently available model.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Richmond-40-Gal-Short-6-Year-36-000-BTU-Power-Vent-Natural-Gas-Water-Heater-6GR40SPVE2-36/206137472

Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
What about the Rheem 40 gallon Tall 40000 BTU power vent (Model no XG40T06PV40U0)?

It's a matter of tank height. I speced the short because it will work either way. If you have a short now and get a tall it could be problematic.