Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I was wondering what fittings work the best on grey water…

I was wondering what...

I was wondering what fittings work the best on grey water lines? Does pex or push to fit work with that?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

I have a leaky fitting that feeds our dishwasher. So I need to replace the fitting and replace it with a new one

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yep.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really. I can do what needs to be done just need to know if pex or push to fit fitting work on the grey water lines?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in a Double wide Pre-Fab house
3/8/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What fittings work the best on grey water lines in a prefab home? Does pex or push to fit work?

I would say that pex is slightly better than the push fittings so really the only difference would be price. It will be less to replace one fitting with a push fitting but in the future you may have other issues so, really I would say that buying a pex crimping tool would be a good investment. You surely .....still typing....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have a pex crimp tool and I have used it with clamps.

You surely will need to replace a fitting or two in the future and the crimping tool will pay for itself after replacing 5 or 6 fittings so to make a short answer long I would say the crimping tool and pex pipe. Keep in mind that the pex fittings do not directly crimp to the grey pipe. You have to first crimp a transition coupling.

In that case crimping is much better than the push fittings. The push fittings are fine but very expensive. If you are using the pinch clamps instead of the crimp rings that is fine too. If you are doing a lot the crimp rings are cheaper than the cinch clamps too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Crimp the transition coupling into the grey then to pex?

That is correct. The inner diameter of the grey pipe is a little larger than the pex so if you try to crimp a pex fitting to the grey pipe it will blow off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is a transition coupling? And where do you get one?

Any hardware store has them. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware. Give me a minute, I will send a link to one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome. You would just use the cinch clamps instead of the crimp rings if you do have the cincher instead of the crimper.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I do have the one that uses the cinch clamp not the rings

Totally fine. It will work great.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I should be fine.

If anything comes up you can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service. I am happy to continue to help and will always respond. Mike

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber