Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I am trying to install a barrier free shower in a slab that…

I am trying to...

I am trying to install a barrier free shower in a slab that doesn't have a drain in the floor, only one in the wall coming from the second floor that goes vertically through an exterior wall into the footing then outside. I have found the sanishower as an option, but I would still need to raise the shower floor to accommodate it. I can get the slope i need IF i dig into the footing about 6 inches. when i read the code it talks about a relieving arch. how would this apply in this case?. i basically need to hollow out the top of the footing, not bore through it.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

Yes, also an architect.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, but i have yet to find someone who knows, or can suggest, a way to do it so if i knew what was needed, i could ask better questions from a pro

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The vertical drain is also the vent might be useful info, other than that, i can't think of anything

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

It is currently a concrete floor? How do you know there is a footing there? Is the footing where the trap would be? Are you going to raise the floor or break up the current floor to install piping?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** *****" PT monolithic concrete slab with an intermediate footing where the drain and water come up vertically from the main line. There is gravel, foam and a vapor barrier beneath. The main line doesn't come up under the breezeway, but from the outside to this wall, then on out under the garage side. The footing is at least 2 ft deep, 1 1/2ft wide, and spreads out wider at the bottom of that. I know it because I saw them dig it out. And yes, if i was to install a linear drain, the trap would be close to, or possibly within the footing.Starting with an infinity drain/integrated p trap that is 5 1/4 high, and shallow channel drain at 13/16 in, once the distance and 2% slope is accounted for, about 6-7 inches vertical is needed out of the top of the footing. Ideally I would like to trench the floor, minimally, for a linear drain, and then through the top of the footing on to join to the vertical drain.There are 2 framed 2x6 walls on the footing, but I understand that I can cut those by putting a header above that area.But, the second option, if I can't join into the drain low enough, and cut out the channel across the whole footing, would be to still trench for the drain, then cut a smaller section in the top of the foundation/footer to put a sanishower behind the wall (there is access to the space from an access panel on the garage side, then attach it to the drain a little higher.) The second solution would involve less cement removal.And no, couldn't raise the floor much. To raise the floor very much makes wheelchair access impossible. There isn't enough area to put in a long ramp and alternative transfer means aren't an option.

Is there already a bathroom there and you are just adding the shower then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, but i have the sink and toilet figured out

You can use the sink to vent the shower. It is doubtful the other pipe is a vent. The sink vent can vent the shower and the toilet too. Is the shower going to be a pre-formed base or tile floor?

Would you like to discuss over the phone? I think there is a lot of information I can share that will help you out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** work, but the vent is the top of the drain, or so i was told so I was planning to use that instead (it's closer). I believe at this point the only overwhelming issue is the shower drain. To answer your question, the shower floor is tile over membrane over preformed panels (e.g. trugard) to create the slope.

Well, you cannot cut into the footing but you can put the drain in another spot. It does not have to be in the center. Are you sure that nothing drains into the pipe that is suspected of being a vent? What is that vent serving already?

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
small sink

Very good. Enter your contact info and I will give you a call.

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber