Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My overflow pipe from my water heater is gushing water

Customer Question
constantly and wont stop -...
My overflow pipe from my water heater is gushing water constantly and wont stop - it's been a couple of hours now... its cool water but gushing. How do I stop this? Can I turn off the water main or does that cause pressure?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Plumbing
3/7/2018
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 1 month ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There's a shut off, or there should be, on the cold water line into the tank. If not or if it doesn't work then close the main water shut off. Be aware that the water will continue to run for a few minutes even after you shut it off until the pressure dissipates

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor