Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My hot water heater in my gym broke and I am getting

Customer Question
ridiculous quotes about how much...
My hot water heater in my gym broke and I am getting ridiculous quotes about how much it will cost to get a new one and have it installed. Any recommendations on where to buy a good used one and can I install it myself by watching videos on you tube?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/7/2018
Plumber: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.

Hello, about the only place you will find a *good used water heater, and for very little money, less than 10 cents on the dollar is at an auction of a sold out or bankrupt NEW store or other commercial building, those come up from time to time, You might have to attend 4 or 5 auctions to find one.

.

these tend to go bad in the 15 to 20 year range, if you can find one on Craigs list or Ebay less than 3 or 4 years old, it might work for you.

Your other option is to remove the old water heater yourself, buy a new one, set it in place, then hire a handyman with a gas appliance license to connect it... that saves about 1/2 the labor hours and about 50% of the cost per hour.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.