Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have two sump holes in my basement. One has a pump and…

Customer Question
I have two sump...

I have two sump holes in my basement. One has a pump and empties when it gets full. The other has some sort of pump in it but it is piped up and out of the house. A couple weeks ago we had a huge rainfall and the pump in the second hole is working and pumping the water in that hole out but water is coming out the overflow at the top of the pipes. Any idea why?

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

Almost two weeks. I thought once the rain dried it would go back to normal but it has not. The water in the overflow started out pretty heavy, slowed to a trickle and now is back to being heavy. I don't know if I need to call a plumber or some other trade to look into it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

NO! lol

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Unless I knew what the issue was it seems like maybe there is a clog somewhere but not all the water backs up

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Plumbing
3/6/2018
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 4 months ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation.

What overflow are you referring to? A picture might help

Click on the link below for info on posting pics here

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

There is an overflow in the piping above the sump holea

Since what you describe is unusual to say the least I need a picture.

Pipe on right is hole with sump that empties. pipe on left goes into other sump hole that does not empty. when right side pumps out, some water leaves the house and some comes out through the overflow at the top of this pic. (vertical short pipe near ceiling)

That "overflow" looks like a drain for a water softener back wash line. If water backs out of there then the discharge for at least one pump is connected to the household plumbing drain which is illegal. ALL sump discharge must dump on the ground outdoors.

What would cause something to come out of that overflow? It only overflows when the sump pump runs....not when the sink, toilet or shower run.

The pump is pumping water out under pressure and the stand pipe in the trap is too short so due to resistance in the piping the water backs up out of the stand pipe.

I have lived in this house for 7 years and never had any issues. What would cause this now?

You could have a partial stoppage. In any event that pump discharge should not be connected to a plumbing drain. If you're on town sewer the sewer department would be very upset if they found out. If you're on septic you're overtaxing the septic system for no reason and likely shortening its life..

That drain should be re-routed to the outside like the other sump discharge

The drain from the right sump does go outside if you follow that pipe up
Is this something that "Roto Rooter" would fix?

I got that. If your local Roto Rooter offers plumbing services then yes they could fix this.

Do you have more questions?