Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I get hot water to the kitchen sink but not to either

I get hot water...

I get hot water to the kitchen sink but not to either bathroom shower. When the hot water is on in the kitchen sink the heater has a continuous red light, when I turn the hot water on in the shower the red light is blinking.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?

It has been touchy for a while but there has been no hot water to the showers for two days. It's severe b/c we have 2 five year olds.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Welllll - i don't know if I'm able.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Suggestions, please. Any idea why it will supply hot water to sink but not showers.

3/4/2018
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of your situation. What's the brand and model of your unit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Power Star. Can't see the model number - looking. 45-551710 is the model number.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for over 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you have hot water at the bathroom sinks? Do you have a hot water circulation system and are you having any remodeling done in the baths?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hot water to both be sinks. No remodeling and I'm not aware of any water circulation system.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did you receive my last message?

Sorry for the delay. Is the water not hot enough or totally cold?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the shower it's totally cold.

How old are the shower valves? How long have the showers been cold? Is the flow very slow coming out of the showers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bathrooms were remodeled about a year ago. The water stream is sufficient. The showers have been iffy for some months but cold now for 2 days.

When you turn on water at any sink, is the water instantly hot or do you have to wait for hot water? How long does it take to get hot water there? If you turn the bathroom sink on hot then the shower does the water in the shower get hot then?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm trying it.

Very good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The water to the sinks takes 10 + seconds to get warm/hot. Right now when I turned on the hot water to the sink then in the shower I got hot water. But, it didn't last.

Are the showers back to back and are they the closest to the water heater or furthest?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One is close, one is farther away but they are essentially back to back.

Do you have one of these things somewhere, maybe on the water heater? click here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not.

Is your water heater used for heating also or only hot water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, just hot water. We probably need a new ones?

Not even heated floors?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, no. We live in Hawaii.

So, I do not think there is an issue with the water heater. It is almost certainly in one of the shower cartridges. Are the shower valves both single handle and when you turn them on would they start off cold then the further you turn the handle the warmer they get or opposite?

When they did work correctly...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are single handled and start cold then hotter as you turn the handle.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have only lived here since Christmas but I don't think they've ever worked correctly. Pretty sure I will have to have a plumber come in. I am not the least bit handy.

The issue is one of the shower cartridges. One of the shower cartridges is cracked or defective and when turning on the shower it pulls the cold water through the cartridge. There is a little more water pressure on the cold water side compared to the hot and the water will go to the point of least resistance. Still typing....

If you find the brand name on the shower plate then have someone replace both shower cartridges that will solve the issue. Make sure they use the brand name parts and not Danco. The cartridges are likely Danco already. I have had that problem before with those.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you so much. I will have some knowledge behind me when I get the plumber here. Your service is great!!

You are very welcome. I am sure that plumbers are crazy expensive there. If you find the brand name on the plate and get the replacement cartridges for them (likely free from the manufacturer although time is not exactly on your side) a handy man can likely replace them too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's a great idea. Aloha!

Aloha! P.S. I am also up for adoption.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We could certainly keep you busy!

I think my customers here would NOT like that though....and many are already nervous I may run back to the homeland. In NC now (from Ontario)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are very fortunate! Thank you again!

You are very welcome. You can still comment or ask questions even after positively rating my service and I am happy to continue to help if something comes up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I certainly will.

Very good

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber