Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Just finished phone conversation about etching on glassware…

Hi Mike,Just finished phone conversation...
Hi Mike,Just finished phone conversation about etching on glassware in dishwasher on well system.If I could not do any of the tests to find the problem, what specialists would you call to get
this done, would they know? Already the filter people do not know...thanks.I can see, selling the house and needing to get this done or know how to do it.
This should be for Mike, Mike R., as long discussion was needed and done by him.
2/17/2018
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience as a plumber. I'll be glad to assist you today.

Sorry for the delay. Doggy was demanding some walking time.

I think a lot of Home Depots also do water testing if you decide that you want to have a professional do it. There are plumbing companies and filter companies that would do it too but there is an advantage to having the big stores do it. First, they will be held accountable if something is not to your liking. For instance if the plumber they contract it out to is rude or does not communicate answers to your questions then you will still have a contact at the Home Depot to relay concerns to and they will be sure to meet all of your needs. Second they will tend to be more cost effective than dealing directly with a plumbing company and the final price will not be a surprise. They will have a quote with some pretty accurate information on it. Third if you do not already have a plumbing contact then they will be the best thing to deal with. They are not going anywhere and you can rest assured they will want you to be a satisfied customer at the end of the process.

I know that Home Depot has expanded their services greatly in the last few years and Lowes may have also so visiting both for an information gathering mission may be the first step if you are not comfortable doing any of the things we discussed on your own. I do urge you to at least do the water testing before anything. If you do not flush your water heater first then be sure to test the water from a tap that is only cold water like an outside faucet. Get quotes from a couple of sources before deciding who is going to do the testing etc. Most companies will quote for free (Lowes and Home Depot might charge $40) but none will give you a copy of the water test results unless they are contracted to do the filtering or installation of an appliance like a softener so it is best to have your own test and build your knowledge before allowing them to do the work.

You said a handyman - is that true in this case? Just a plumber? Not a contractor?

That was if you do all the testing and ground work yourself but if you have someone else do everything than that would likely be the best route.

I am guessing maybe you were thinking that all the ground work might be a bit much. If you want to make it the easiest and least stressful I would suggest doing the test kit on your own then getting Home Depot to also test and give you a quote to do whatever they decide needs to be done. Once you do the water test kit and also test the hardness of the water and get the quote from Home Depot then open a new question, request me, provide the information to me and I will review what has been determined and give you some feedback. Sound about right?

Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber